United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)
is the private, non-profit organization that manages the nation’s organ transplant system under contract with the federal government. In doing so, we bring together hundreds of transplant and organ procurement professionals and thousands of volunteers. This unique collaboration helps make 79 life-saving organ transplants possible each day. Our system serves as the model for transplant systems around the world.
UNOS is involved in many aspects of the organ transplant and donation process:
- Managing the national transplant waiting list, matching donors to recipients 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Maintaining the database that contains all organ transplant data for every transplant event that occurs in the U.S.
- Bringing together the transplant community to develop policies that make the best use of the limited supply of organs and give all patients a fair chance at receiving the organ they need, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, religion, lifestyle or financial/social status.
- Monitoring every organ match to ensure organ allocation policies are followed.
- Providing assistance to patients, family members and friends.
- Educating transplant professionals about their important role in the donation and transplant processes.
- Educating the public about the importance of organ donation.
Our mission is to advance organ availability and transplantation by uniting and supporting our communities for the benefit of patients through education, technology and policy development.
United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is a great place to work! In 2015, UNOS was recognized as one of the top work places in Richmond, Va. by the Richmond Times Dispatch. Build a great career with us.
UNOS begins with you. If you’re motivated by meaningful work, we invite you to join our life-saving team.